“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”

-Hippocrates

Monday, February 27, 2012

My Period (aka Menstruation)

Prior to GAPS, my menstrual cycle was regular, but the PMS symptoms were awful.  I only say "awful" because before I had children, I didn't really have any noticeable PMS symptoms.  In high school, my friends would all complain about cramping; some staying home from school it was so bad.  I was fortunate enough to not be able to relate. 
Fast forward to mommyhood.  I would get a migraine 3 to 5 days before getting my period.  It took quite a few instances for me to make the correlation.  Then I'd get painful constipation and super gassy.  Yes, I'm sharing quite a bit. 
My periods would be heavy, requiring to double up on pads, especially at night during the first few days.  They would last completely for 7 to 8 days. 

Since starting GAPS, my period has changed dramatically.  I'm on the 5th day right now and I've been spotting for 2 days.  I spotted for the first day, had medium flow for 2 days and then began spotting again.  I have had no pain, constipation or migraines. 

I wanted to see if this was normal.  So I went to the GAPS Guide site.  It seems to be a positive side-effect of GAPS!   Win-Win. 

Heal the gut, heal my ovaries. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Marisa,
    Thanks for stopping by to read my journey. I've totally noticed a change in my periods. However, I also notice that when I get off track I get heavier periods and more cramps. This summer has been hard because we do a lot of camping with other families. The kids want pancakes and cereal and oatmeal along with everyone else. I don't feel like fighting or cooking complicated meals outdoors, so we go with it. I also have had early mornings where I don't have time (or the thought) to prepare something for traveling. So I'd stop and grab a bagel a couple times a week. Not only did my fingers start to peel again, but I could tell when my period was coming. Indeed...very interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete