“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”

-Hippocrates

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

About Me

I decided to start this blog for a couple of reasons.  One - because I feel like I need to report what I'm doing in order to keep myself in line.  I've been messaging friends regarding nutrition on Facebook for a little while now.  Since I've started GAPS, I wanted to post what I've done and whether it's been a success or not.  If someone could benefit from my experiences, then that would be amazing for them.  Two - I started blogging on my other blog, but it's simply not pertinent to the title: Bugs, Boys and Boo Boos.  That blog is about homeschooling my three boys. 

I've been pretty lucky in the health department.  However, less than a month ago I was hit with inflammation and peeling skin.  Yesterday I was diagnosed with Psoriasis.  I always thought of it as similar to eczema.  While it does affect the skin, it's actually an auto immune disease where your skin cells react to a stimulus and over produce.  This causes inflammation on points of your body and flaky skin.  Each time it flakes off, new skin is being produced and a few days later that flakes off, too.  Wearing dark colors isn't a good look...

My dermatologist also informed me that I have between a 10 and 30 percent chance of getting Psoritic Arthritis.  It's deformative and degenerative.  Basically, it eats away the cartilage in your joints and causes them to be in pain and possibly deformed. 

I have three young boys and a husband.  I'd like to be able to function "normally" for their sake.  We have a little homestead and not being able to contribute to that or to playing with my children without feeling pain would be fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment