“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”

-Hippocrates

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Day 7 & 8 - Stage 2 (day 4,5)

I am in love with carrot juice.  Who knew?!

I bought a GE Juice Extractor from Walmart.  It has a 2-year warranty.  There are five parts to clean.  The screen/filter on the inside isn't too tough or too easy.  The little carrot pits get stuck a bit.  But it's not horrendous to clean. 

I juiced 4 carrots yesterday and 10 today.  It breaks down to about an ounce of juice per carrot. 



I drank 4oz of juice yesterday.  I probably drank another 4oz today.  My husband and one of my boys drank some too.  I am pleased to say that my constipation issues got resolved.  Yay!

Type 1 has spent the longest time in the colon and type 7 has spent the least.  Stools at the lumpy end of the scale are hard to pass and often require a lot of straining.  Stools at the loose or liquid end of the spectrum can be too easy to pass - the need to pass them is urgent and accidents can happen.  The ideal stools are types 3 and 4, especially type 4, as they are most likely to glide out without any fuss.

I made a pretty yummy broccoli soup yesterday.  I'll add more of each veggie next time to increase the flavor.  It was a little overrun by the chicken broth.  Or perhaps do half broth and half water. 

3 chunks of broccoli (thick stems with several florets)
1 onion
1 garlic clove
1 sm. zucchini
sea salt
broth

boil 25 minutes and then puree. 

This soup is good for on-the-go.  I am used to bringing smoothies wherever I go.  Pureed soups are a nice substitute for that.  You don't need a spoon and you can just pour it into a mason jar.  

Today I made another pureed soup for my traveling needs.  Being a homeschooling mom, we're in the car a lot.  I need snacks.

I made a big batch of this to keep for the week.  You could probably freeze portions and take out when needed.  I know I'll need these within the next couple of days, so I just threw them in the refrigerator. 

1 butternut squash, peeled
1 bag organic carrots
1 sweet onion - large
6 cloves of garlic
5 cups of broth
4 cups of water
ginger - 1" x 4"

Peel and cut all veggies into chunks.  Boil everything for 30 minutes and puree. 
I had a bowl and left a bowl for my husbands lunch tomorrow.  There was enough left to fill three 32oz jars.
They are all the same color, they just look different due to the lighting. 

I didn't know what to do with the pulp so I enlisted the help from some friends.  Throw it in soups or casseroles or cookies or crackers.  They pretty much said to put it wherever you can fit it.  I found a recipe for a raw basil cracker, which I will attempt once I get to that stage. It sounds absolutely divine.



No comments:

Post a Comment