“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”

-Hippocrates

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Day 4, Stage 2

I spoke with a friend of mine who has been on GAPS for a year.  She said if I was dealing with Stage 1 without an diarrhea then to move onto Stage 2.  Most people can move on after day 1, but I felt like I needed to see if there were any side effects for longer than that. 

What to introduce in Stage 2:
  • Egg yolk, carefully separated.  Add it to your soup and mix.  The yolk will blend in nicely.  If there is any white, it'll solidify and look like egg white, so you can pick it out easily. 
  • Fermented veggies, like kimchi or sauerkraut.  (Now, I have conflicting reports on this.  The GAPS book says to add fermented veggies in Stage 3, but on the Health, Home, Happiness website, Cara says it's okay to start them in Stage 2.  I love Cara's site and took her advice since I was tolerating the fermented veggie juices.)
  • Homemade yogurt, homemade sour cream and kefir. 
  • Fresh herbs (no spices)
  • Fermented fish or Swedish gravlax
  • Other well boiled GAPS-legal vegetables (no starchy root veggies), like turnip & brussel sprouts.
  • Stews and casseroles made with meat and vegetables
  • Homemade ghee

I added in an egg yolk to each soup, as well as a bit of kimchi.  This adds a whole new yummy dimension to the soups I've been eating. 


beef, cauliflower, broccoli, leek, carrots w/egg...see how
creamy it looks with the egg?


ground beef, sweet onion, carrots and zucchini.

ground beef, carrots, leek, and kimchi.

No comments:

Post a Comment