“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”

-Hippocrates

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Nail Biting

I've been a chronic nail biter since I can remember.  The only time I wasn't was in 2001 when I tried to not bite them.  I lasted quite a few years without biting my nails.  With the birth of each baby I would bite my nails a little bit.  When my youngest was born, that was it.  I started biting consistently and my nails were almost gone within a week. 

Since I got psoriasis I have not bitten my nails.  (You can see a sample of what my nails looked like here.  You'll have to scroll down to the last picture.)  I attribute this to two things.  1 - my hands were swollen so much that I couldn't bite my nails. And then my hands hurt so much that I couldn't.  2 - I just don't have the urge to anymore. 
I haven't replaced the behavior with anything...except blogging.  But I don't blog all day long. 

The what's and why's of nail biting:

Compulsive nail biting is often observed in people suffering from obsessive-compulsive disorder and body dysmorphic disorder. The most well-understood form of compulsive self-mutilation is trichotillomania or hair pulling, and this also tends to disproportionately afflict people with OCD. Because it is a repetitive behavior and common in people with obsessive-compulsive disorder, is sometimes considered a related OC spectrum disorder. These disorders tend to run in families.
There are several reasons why nail-biters continue their behaviors, and it can be more that just a matter of will-power.
  • Self-Soothing: When stressed, many people feel a need for self-soothing and find they feel better when they bite their nails. It has a sort of calming effect on their nervous systems and reduces levels of stimulation.
  • Stimulation: On the other hand, when people are bored or inactive, nail-biting may provide a needed level of stimulation for the nervous system. It may help keep a person alert or awake when they would otherwise become bored or distracted.
  • Perfectionism: Nail-biters may spend hours examining their nails or fingers for the tiniest irregularity and then try to fix it, in hopes of achieving an improved appearance. Paradoxically, the nail-biting always ends up with the nails looking much worse in spite of their efforts.
Nail-biting can result in a self-perpetuating cycle. Nail-biting may lead to shame and anxiety, which can result in more of the behavior. 

The GAPS diet claims to help those with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.  "Children and young adults with ADHD/ADD, OCD, depression and other neuro-psychological problems are very often reported to suffer from digestive abnormalities."

Did the GAPS diet help with my nail biting?  I would like to think so.  My psoriasis has cleared up tremendously on my hands now.  My fingertips have been healed for over a week now and I have no compulsion to bite my nails. 

No comments:

Post a Comment