“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”

-Hippocrates

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Day 22, Stage 4 (day 6)



I baked some GAPS bread today.  I had to omit the almonds and substitute with sunflower seeds. 
Recipe for "bread":

1.25 cups of sunflower seeds, ground into a flour in the food processor
1.5 eggs (I just saved the other half of the egg for later)
2 Tbs soured cream
1/2 of a small organic zucchini

Blend everything until like porridge.  I greased a glass pie dish with coconut oil, put a piece of parchment down and pressed.  Then I flipped the parchment over and pressed again, so that both sides were greased.  
I poured the mixture in and baked at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. 

I ate it.  Oh man!  It was disgusting.  Tolerable, because I'm a grown up, but disgusting just the same.  My 2-year-old took a huge bite, started chewing and spit it back out.  I thought he was going to cry.  He kept saying, "I don't want this, it's disgusting!"

Now, I'm a grown up, so I could give it another go.  I cooked up some sausage, peppers and onions.  I cut up an avocado.  When eaten all together and you can't taste the "bread", it's okay.  Once I can add things like honey and dried fruit to it, I'm sure it'll be better.  But as it stands, it needs to be consumed smothered in other goodness.  I also have a pie plate full of the "bread" and I cannot waste it.  I will eat every last piece. 

Sausages!  If you know your butcher, go talk to him (or her).  My butcher over at Whole Foods Market was kind enough to make me special sausages.  Pork, salt, pepper and fennel.  I also had him whip up a batch of chicken sausages with the same ingredients.  The regular ones they have out have sugar in them. 

Onions and Peppers!  One onion, one yellow pepper, one orange pepper mixed with 1/4 cup of leftover sausage fat (from last night's dinner) and a sprinkling of sea salt.  Baked at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes or until the desired tenderness. 


Tomorrow I will begin Stage 5.  I haven't had any other adverse reactions to roasting meats or to any of the other foods.  I'm excited to eat a baked apple!

No comments:

Post a Comment