“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”

-Hippocrates

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Day 34, Stage 6 (day 2)

I had a salad yesterday with mixed greens, strawberries, apple, cheddar and Gouda.  It was delicious.  I made a dressing with olive oil, a little bit of salt, a little bit of honey and a bit of ...vinegar.  I'm still alive today.  I had made the salad for my family and couldn't resist.  I ate a lot of it.  Not a problem that I can see.  Thank goodness. 

Okay, so I'm a super cheater.  I had chocolate today.  I made a chocolate cake.  It was so yummy. 

I found this recipe on Elana's Pantry...my new favorite site.  It's very similar to the blueberry muffins/cake that I made the other day.  I also made my own substitutions to cater to my pantry items.  It tasted like cake.  Not like coconut flour cake.  Like, real gluten-filled cake. 

Chocolate Cupcakes (with my substitutions).

1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup cacao powder (the only thing I had was ghiradelli's dark chocolate powder)
1/4 cup cocoa butter nibs pulsed in food processor to teeny pieces
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
6 eggs
1/2 cup melted butter

3/4 cup honey
1/2 tsp all natural creme de menthe flavoring (you can't taste it in the cake, but it's enough to get rid of the coconut taste that angers my oldest son)

  1. In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients
  2. In a large bowl, blend together wet ingredients
  3. Blend dry ingredients into wet thoroughly
  4. Line a glass pie plate with parchment and pour mix into it.
  5. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes
  6. Cool 
  7. Serve
Makes one pie plate of cake.

Next time I make this...or tomorrow when I eat it...I may make a frosting with either raw cream or coconut cream.  I have a box of coconut cream I have wanted to try.

The lighting was terrible, so the shot is too.  But look!  It's cakey and lovely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment