“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”

-Hippocrates

Friday, March 9, 2012

Cultures and Coconut

I have been making my own yogurt for some time now.  I had always used store-bought yogurt, but I recently purchased a starter online.  In using store-bought yogurt, the homemade raw yogurt came out very strong.  The kids wouldn't touch it.  This particular starter created a very mild tasting yogurt, like the packet says.  I warmed the milk a bit, to a little over 100 degrees and added one starter packet.  I stirred, wrapped in a towel and placed it in my oven with the light on.  It sat there for almost 24 hours to make sure the lactose was all gone.  The milk I used (gasp) was slightly soured to begin with.  So the yogurt was, too.  But the kids didn't seem to care.  Score 1.

Coconut.  GAPS friendly coconut.  Coconut is important to our family.  We can't eat nut flours, so coconut flour is awesome.  It's much denser than other flours and requires a lot of eggs to create a palatable result.  I've made really yummy muffins with coconut flour.  However, the next day, they're not so yummy.  Tropical Traditions has a ton of delicious recipes to try out.  I didn't buy their flour this time around, though.  I wanted to try another company...Wilderness Family Naturals.  The prices were comparable to what I would pay via Amazon.com, with shipping being the just about the cost of one 1.1 pound bag of flour.  I haven't priced how much it costs in the stores...I should probably do that.  I like that Wilderness Family Naturals is family run and maintains it's relatively small status. 


I haven't tried the coconut flour yet.  I'm waiting until I move out of the intro diet.  I also purchased a jar of coconut spread.  I cannot wait to try it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment