“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”

-Hippocrates

Friday, March 9, 2012

Day 26, Stage 5 (day 5)

Soups were simple to make, but as I move through the intro, soups are becoming less and less.  I've been eating more baked foods.  The challenging thing has been breakfast, for two reasons:
  1. Throwing a bunch of food into a soup pot and walking away is easy.  Baking up separate things has been more difficult.
  2. Trying to figure out what to eat, in itself,  has been difficult too.  Baking a chicken in the morning is time consuming.
There are definitely things to remedy my whining.  Cooking food ahead of time is one option.  I'm not that prepared as of yet. 

I've actually started cooking things on the stove in a cast iron pan.  I've been adding water so as not to "fry" the stuff.  It's almost like cooking a soup, but without all that liquid.  I take the food out once it's cooked and there's barely any water left. 

This morning the kids wanted haddock for breakfast.  They're learning fast.  A pound of haddock split between two kids and me.  The other kid ate the last piece of sprouted spelt bread.  I hope he enjoyed it. 


homemade breakfast sausage patty, red pepper and sweet onion


This one was left in the skillet a little too long while I tended to a child-related "emergency".  It happens.
Sausage, onions, garlic, spinach.
 Our chickens either stopped laying momentarily, or started laying somewhere I cannot locate.  Silly husband of mine unplugged their light and neglected to plug it back in.  We've been without eggs for 3 days, so my egg consumption has come to a halt.  Eggs are definitely always a terrific breakfast option.  I like mine poached.  I don't do it Julia Child's style, but they are still yummy nonetheless.

Easy Poached Eggs

Boil water.  When it just starts to boil, crack the egg into the water.  Turn off the water and let it sit.  When the egg whites are cooked through, remove with slotted spoon.  The yolk might be super runny or partially cooked, depending on your gauge of white-doneness (that's not really a word is it?). 

No comments:

Post a Comment