“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”

-Hippocrates

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

April Update

I'm still on the full GAPS diet.  Although, I did "cheat" a little over Easter.  Those darned gummy bears and jelly beans get me every time.  Fortunately (or not) they were "all natural" and organic. 

All my cravings for grains are gone.  Amazing. 

I've cut dairy out, though.  We were consuming raw dairy, but it seems to be too much for my children.  They had belly rashes and were having snoring issues.  We've been dairy-free, except for an occasional splash of left-over homemade raw yogurt in a smoothie or soup.  The rashes are going away and the snoring is dissipating. 

I'm still not eating pork either.  I've a 1/3 of a hog coming into my freezer this week and I can't eat it.  (insert sad face here)

The psoriasis is cleared up immensely.  There is a tiny patch on my right knee.  It's gone from my elbows and chest.  My hands and feet are still a little peely, but it's not too noticeable. 

One thing that is noticeable, to me anyway, are my fingernails.  The undersides of them are thick.  There is another layer of skin or nail underneath that is double the thickness of my fingernails.  It keeps my nails from breaking, which is nice, but it's just ugly. 

My journey is definitely not over, but I will probably post once a month now, unless I find a miracle cure of have some reaction to something. 

Be well, friends.

7 comments:

  1. So interested to find your blog - I have been suffering with psoriasis since having my first child 5 years ago. I just started the GAPS diet 2 weeks ago. I really hope it helps! Good luck with your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, Good luck with YOUR journey! I hope you find some relief. I'd love to hear if GAPS helps you at all, or if my experience has been a fluke! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to write your blog! I have P as well; although not very bad only for two years (thank you antibiotics!). I fermented vegetables for the first time today and hope to be fully on the diet within a month. Please keep us posted and I hope others with P who are on the diet tell us how they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank, Huey. I have also found that cutting out pork products has helped a lot, especially those that are commercially prepared. I'll "indulge" in Amish farm-raised pork and it doesn't have as much of an effect as, say, a store-bought hot dog or bacon....hot dogs have been making a comeback at friend/family bbq's since the weather is nicer. Be well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your article. The pictures of psoriasis disease is a long process for treatment. It requires

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried to buy apple cider vinegar product as a medication. The same with you my battle is not over yet. We can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, great results. I have had bad psoriasis for a decade or more, have tried a lot of things, and am now trying GAPS. My partner has decided to come along for the ride. We are into week 2. It is an epic diet - really frustrating at times, but know it is doing us a lot of good. Have seen the psoriasis fade a bit, which is very promising. How is the psoriasis for you now? Does it ever come on with a vengeance with slip-ups and, if so, how do you deal with it now? Return to more broths, pro-biotics, etc? Thanks for the great blog - very helpful. Troy.

    ReplyDelete