“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”

-Hippocrates

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Week 1 Wrap Up

I've been on GAPS now for 1 week...during the holiday season.  Yikes.  I have been tempted with candy canes, chocolate truffles, hot cocoa, pies, sugar plums...  all my weaknesses.  And casseroles.  And rice dishes.
I keep looking to the future and a healthy me and politely decline, or not lick my fingers as I'm creating these dishes for my family.
I have been consuming lots of bone broth.  Chicken and beef.  I am not a fan of fish, so there will be no fish broth.  I've been taking vitamin D supplements, fermented cod liver/butter oil capsules and a good probiotic.  I've been drinking ginger tea and chamomile tea, with a little local raw honey.  I've been making soups with broth, carrots, onions, cauliflower, broccoli, parsnips and turnips.  I've been adding Bubbies Pickle juice to my soups. I do have kimchi, but I feel that might be too spicy for now.  I've started stage 2 and adding garlic and an egg yolk.  This began yesterday.  So far, so good.  I do have to say that I am constipated.  Not painfully, but I just don't have bowel movements the way I used to.  You're welcome for sharing.
I anticipate being on soups for another week, maybe two.  I want to see improvement in my skin before I move on.  But I don't know if it'll take time or should happen soon.  I have noticed that my tongue is less white.  Good sign.

My favorite soup so far:
1 lb grass fed ground beef
1 head cauliflower
2 onions
beef bone broth to cover
bring to a boil.
simmer 30 minutes.
Add 1 crushed clove of garlic, 3 TBS Bubbies Pickle juice, one egg yolk.

It kind of tastes like a cheeseburger.

3 comments:

  1. Hello, I'm so happy to see your posts and documentation about your implementation of the GAPS diet. I have had psoriasis for about 20 years and never found an effective natural treatment. Recently I found the GAPS book and had this thought about trying the diet too. and I accidentally found your website. I was very excited to find someone with the same problem with me and is looking for similar solution. I just want to ask how are you doing now since you haven't updated for a long time? Do you think this GAPS diet works for your psoriasis? Are you still one the diet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also interested in how everything worked out for you on this diet? I plan on implementing the diet in my life for the same reason of having psoriasis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also interested in how everything worked out for you on this diet? I plan on implementing the diet in my life for the same reason of having psoriasis.

    ReplyDelete